We generate and develop business opportunities for the food value chain actors. Our R&D is dedicated to addressing the needs of the food industry to achieve sustainable growth through products, technology and tools to fulfil their needs.
Adding value to the product and increasing the efficiency of products and processes, which are key for the competitiveness of companies
We develop and generate solutions, products, technologies, tools and strategies to ensure short term competitiveness and the long term economic, environmental and social sustainability throughout the food chain. All of this is aimed at:
- Efficient use of resources.
- Increased production efficiency and cost savings.
- Reduction at source of declines, rejects, food losses, food wastage, by-products, waste and discharges.
- Assessment and reduction of the environmental and social impact of food products, processes and facilities throughout the entire life cycle.
- Integration in the circular economy, making optimum use of underused resources.
- Differentiation of products compared with the competitors due to their better environmental and social characteristics.
To reach these objectives, we are working on 5 lines:
Economic valuation of food by-products: Biorefinery and New bio-based products
We offer developments, strategies and processes to obtain commercial value compounds or increased economic-environmental value of products, compounds, substances or molecules based on underused food fractions (surplus, losses and waste, discards, by-products and co-products) for their use as an ingredient, additive, raw material or intermediate material in food for humans, animal feed, bio-energies or bio-materials.
To do so, we offer:
- Preparation of integral operating plans: Design and dimensioning of the storage, collection, transport and logistics systems. Advanced by-product treatment / processing for its economic valuation. Technical and economic study of the most profitable scenarios and circular economy in the short and/or long term.
- Feasible extraction of bio-based products: Obtaining of high value-added products for health (high value compounds, functional ingredients, etc.) based on by-products. Design of biorefinery processes. Obtaining high value-added products through bio-conversion. Pre-industrial validation of products and obtaining processes.
- Food waste reduction: Development and application of solutions to take advantage of food waste in all of the stages of the food chain.
Sustainability assessment and communication
We are working to add value to food through sustainability, developing solutions, strategies and IT tools for the comprehensive economic and socio-environmental improvement of food products throughout their life cycle:
- Improvement of the environmental performance of the food activity: We are specialists in the evaluation of the environmental impact of the food by means of the Analysis of Life Cycle of products, processes and food organizations. We have specialized in making a harmonized and certifiable calculation of the environmental impact of the food or company, aligning ourselves with the latest international policies and the needs of the sector. Seeking at all times to improve the food sector, this methodology allows us to identify the causes and origins of environmental impact by promoting the implementation of new technologies, strategies and / or plans to reduce the environmental impact of food and facilities (Ecodesign of food and food facilities).
- Improvement of the socioeconomic behaviour of the food activity: Based on the needs of the sector or food activity, we evaluate the social behaviour of the companies or food chains through the internationally accepted methodologies (SLCA, PSILCA, RSC, etc.).
- Effective environmental communication: We develop sustainability communication plans aimed at informing and sensitizing both suppliers and final consumers. All of this allows us to drive society towards the purchase of sustainable food.
Eco-efficient savings and production
Sustainability and the circular economy is the path for the survival of companies in the long term
We develop and implement solutions to increase the eco-efficiency of companies and their production processes. Comprehensive improvement plans, innovative technological solutions, low-cost operations, all of which are aimed at:
- Water, energy, raw materials and materials savings.
- Increased production efficiency.
- Reduction at source of declines, rejects, losses, waste, food wastage and effluents.
Improved ergonomics of processes
We are working on the social sustainability of food activities through the development of work environments adapted to the specific needs and characteristics of the working population in each company:
- Analysis and ergonomic diagnosis of equipment, processes, facilities and jobs.
- Strategies, actions and re-design of equipment, processes, facilities and jobs to minimise ergonomic risks and the prevention of musculoskeletal disorders in the workplace.
Food Chain 4.0
Development of technological actions and solutions to favour the implementation of the concept 4.0 in the food chain, more specifically, in three lines:A
- Advanced sensors: Development of non-destructive, smart tools, to ensure the food product and process quality, which permits increased efficiency of the value chain and consumer trust. Specialists in identifying critical quality parameters and attributes, efficiency or differentiators in food products and processes.
- Predictive quality and process models: Specialists in development models that are able to predict product quality and process efficiency, by means of complex data processing. Development and maintenance of ad-hoc calibrations in non-destructive sensors.
- Diagnosis 4.0: Preparation of personalised diagnoses for food industries to identify their state of maturity in terms of 4.0 implementation, and production of ad-hoc roadmaps for this implementation, accompanying the company throughout the entire process.