Other objectives include:
- A complete inventory of the vegetal wastes generated in the ACBC;
- Characterisation of the vegetal wastes (including nutritional and sanitary parameters);
- Definition of conditions and technology needed for vegetal meal production from waste vegetables;
- Development of an action plan to valorise vegetal wastes and produce meal for animal feed production;
- A full-scale demonstration of the new proposed management practices for vegetal fractions generated at wholesale markets, public markets, supermarkets and by the food industry; and
- Inclusion of the new raw material in the European Commission’s catalogue for animal feed.
- Reduction by 70% of the current organic waste volume managed at incinerators and dumps;
- Reuse of 7 000 tonnes of vegetal fractions as raw material for producing feed;
- Modification of the waste management plan of the Basque Country to enhance the new proposed management for vegetal fraction by-products; and
- The development of legislation to restrict the dumping of vegetal food fractions from the food industry and distribution into dumps and other urban solid waste deposit installations.
Basque Government, AZTI, Tecnalia Research and Innovation, Elika
European Commission. LIFE