Anticipate in order to respond to the economic impact on fishery activities
AZTI undertakes research in order to increase existing economic knowledge on marine activities and, more specifically, on fishing activities. It seeks to improve and increase the competitiveness in different sea-related capital management sectors (natural and physical). To do so, it:
- Studies the socio-economic effects of fisheries management measures through the development and use of simulation models that consider economy as an integral part of the process.
- Analyses the fish value chain.
- Works on fishery certification from the sustainability standpoint.
- Implements management models for natural resources and marine activities in general.
- Carries out the economic and sustainability assessment of marine activities.
- Develops synthetic indicators that consider economy as an integral part of the process to be assessed.
- Analyses multiplier effects on economy.
- Draws up business and feasibility plans for new developments within the aquaculture framework.
- Anticipate the economic impact on fishing activities of the diverse management measures imposed by different regulations and therefore, help the client respond to them.
- Plan/organise the marine environment shared between the different marine and maritime uses in response to prevailing European legislation.
- Develop tools for the economic management of the fisheries sector.
- Public Administrations
- Official Bodies
- Maritime Companies
- Recreational Fishery Sector.
- Other Research Centres.
One of the benefits is the ability to plan/organise the marine environment shared between the different marine and maritime uses in response to prevailing European legislation
- Timeframes are estimated depending on the complexity of the study and the available knowledge base (data and problem description). If the knowledge base is good, the response time is less than 3 months. If it is not available, timeframes will be defined with the client.
- In the case of product development, another 3-month period should be added to the aforementioned time for tool implementation.
- Over 20 years’ experience and multidisciplinary work team. Knowledge of the tools and technological development capacity.
- Scientific rigour.
Proven track record
- Use of the management models by clients (e.g. by the EU Commission).
- Knowledge transfer to the administrations and the industry through web portals that facilitate the understanding of the outcomes to any end user.
- Use of the information by Basque and European administrations.
- Publication of numerous scientific papers (which prove the scientific rigour of the diverse studies).