Energy efficiency in the marine / fishery
Fuel Saving Developments
Any activity in the marine environment implies energy expenditure. Fuel costs are the main operating cost in marine transport. On the other hand, the fisheries sector is an extractive sector with a specific activity in which fuel cost represents an important share of the operating costs.
To reduce the impact of fuel consumption in these sectors, it is necessary to carry out actions to improve energy efficiency that permit operational changes, technology transfer from other sectors and specific developments that enable fuel savings for the sector and therefore reduce atmospheric emissions.
All of these measures need to be adapted to the specificity of each sector (operational characteristics, kind of activity, regulations, etc.), whereby in-depth knowledge of the technologies and the marine/fishery activity is necessary.
The extensive experience of AZTI in this field has enabled it to create a important database with real operating conditions from different sectors, which can be used in designs adapted to the real operating conditions of vessels.
- Public administrations interested in improving fleet sustainability.
- Ship-owners interested in reducing operating costs.
- Producer associations in the fisheries sector.
- Naval engineering firms interested in developing products adapted to real operating conditions.
- Ship-owners interested in building new vessels using the results from real operation data analysis.
- Companies belonging to the maritime-fishing auxiliary sector.
We have a database with real operating conditions from different sectors that can be used in designs adapted to the real operating conditions of vessels
- Reduced operating costs due to less fuel consumption.
- Improvement of environmental sustainability.
- Less pollutant and greenhouse gas emissions.
- More competitive and sustainable fisheries sector.
- Increased competitiveness of the fisheries sector due to cost reductions.
- Construction of vessels adapted to real operating conditions based on data analysis from real operations.
Energy efficiency projects cover a wide range of possibilities from studies on potential future actions or new constructions to the immediate implementation of on board systems and modifications
- Energy efficiency projects cover a wide range of possibilities from studies on potential future actions or new constructions to the immediate implementation of on board systems and modifications.
- AZTI capabilities and resources can adapt to this wide range of projects and case studies with a high response capacity.
Proven track record
- Technological monitoring of energy efficient technological solutions used in other sectors.
- Knowledge of the sector and the different technological fields for successful technology transfer.
- Presence on national and international technology platforms.
- Close relationship with administrations in different sectors.
- Extensive knowledge of the real operating conditions of vessels.
- GESTOIL Project: fuel savings of 10% to 25% for users.
- APENDOIL Project: fuel savings of 5% by changing the propeller.
- EFIDIES Project: assessment of modifications to diesel engines with savings of 5% for users.