EuskOOS is the operational oceanography system of the Basque coast operated by Euskalmet with the technologica advice of AZTI. It has three objectives:
- To provide a precise description of the current state of the sea along the CAE coastline.
- Proportioning continuous predictions of the future conditions of the sea.
- Provide ocean-meteorological products to the Basque coast users.
EuskOOS data are integrated in many products related to the sectors of the so-called blue economy and sustainable management of resources.
Benefits for your company / product
- Improving predictions of coastal maritime risk
- To optimise actions related to rescue, maritime safety, response to climate change and the fight against pollution.
- Improve the signposting of risk areas, with special emphasis on the safety of activities such as bathing on beaches, diving, surfing, sport fishing, recreational sailing, etc.
- Knowing and predicting surface currents, salinity and temperature of the Gulf of Biscay
- Prediction of the energy resource (marine energies) in real time.
- Grouped access to oceanographic information:
- video-monitoring systems of currents on beaches (KostaSystem);
- Real-time weather conditions in the ports of Bilbao and Pasaia;
- Real-time data from deep-sea buoys, tide gauges and high-frequency radars;
- operational oceanography activity of the Basque coast;
- prediction of the energy resource in the Mutriku Wave Power Plant, BIMEP test platform, position of the Donostia buoy;
- latest developments related to Basque oceanography.
- Link to portals such as Emodnet, marine services such as Copernicus, other ocean observation systems (GOOS, EuroGOOS, IBI-ROOS), etc.
Sectors of application
- Public administrations (civil protection, road safety, etc.)
- Tourism and leisure sector
- Marine energy sector
- Sectors and economic activities in which the weather and climate have special relevance (agriculture, fishing, etc.).
- Society in general