AZTI has been coordinating various scientific-technical advisory projects for both the fishing industry and public bodies:
- The search for and use of different designs and specific biodegradable materials for the construction of drifting DCPs in real conditions at sea.
- The identification of options to mitigate the impacts of drifting FADs on the ecosystem.
- Assessing the socio-economic feasibility of using biodegradable FADs in the tropical tuna purse seine fishery.
These are pioneering large-scale initiatives in the testing of new biodegradable materials, with the collaboration of tuna companies for the testing of new materials for use in FADs.
The ultimate goal is to significantly reduce the amount of synthetic materials in the construction of FADs and their accumulation in the marine environment, maintaining the balance between durability and safety of these devices and eliminating their potential negative impact on the ecosystem.
This pioneering initiative will significantly contribute to eliminating the potential negative impact of FADs on the ecosystem.
- Tuna freezer sector (tropical tuna purse seine fishing).
- Companies involved in the production of biodegradable materials for use in the construction of FADs.
Improve knowledge of new materials for the construction of FADs, which will serve both freezer purse seine companies dedicated to tropical tuna fishing (to improve the sustainability of their activity) and the administration (for the future implementation of biodegradable FADs by the European fleet).
Proven track record
- Years of experience in the tropical tuna fisheries sector.
- Knowledge on the use of FADs in the fishing industry.
- Fishing knowledge in general.
- Collaboration with fisheries to develop improvement projects.