To predict school distribution and reduce fuel consumption and days at sea
AZTI provides fishermen with oceanographic advanced information to determine high-probability fishing areas, based on technology developed in-house (OCEANTIC), for the coastal and offshore fleet, and CATSAT©, for the fleet of frozen tuna vessels.
- Search for favourable oceanographic conditions for the presence of pelagic fishery species.
- Training courses in the use of the IT software which relates oceanographic maps and target fishery resources.
- Weekly technical support in oceanography.
- Service Assessment
- Weekly maps with high-probability fishing areas during the service contract period.
- Weekly monitoring via e-mail and regular visits to the base ports.
- Statistical studies relating catches to oceanographic conditions
- Understand and predict the distribution of schools of the target species.
- Reduced fuel consumption and days at sea.
- Increased safety at sea, avoiding adverse ocean-meteorological areas.
- Fishing companies (vessels and offices): freezer tuna seiners, longliners, coastal tuna vessels, pelagic trawlers (horse-mackerel, mackerel, sardine, anchovy, etc.).
Understanding and predicting the distribution of schools of the target species allows fuel consumption and days at sea to be reduced.
- Installation and handling of software and basic training in the relationship between oceanographic maps and target fishery resources. (1 day)
- Joint determination of the fishing area and season and the target species with the skipper/captain.
- Statistical analysis of the data provided in order to understand the behaviour of the target species and its temporary space distribution in relation to oceanographic conditions. (3 months)
- 15 years’ experience offering oceanographic interpretation for fishing purposes (oceanographic map management software, statistical analysis of the relationship between catches and oceanographic conditions for different oceans).
- Multi-disciplinary work team: biologists, oceanographers, etc.
- Knowledge of the coastal and offshore fisheries sector.
Proven tract record
- Over a decade of map analysis and technical guidance to over 350 vessels in the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic Oceans.