LIFE VERTALIM participates in the Technical Seminar “Industrial Water Treatment” organized by META (Spanish Water Treatment Table) with the following presentation: Industrial discharges in sewage treatment plants of the Bilbao-Bizkaia Water Consortium. Management experience in the framework of the LIFE VERTALIM project.
The META (Spanish Water Treatment Board) on the occasion of the celebration of its VIII General Assembly, organized on July 04 and 05 a “Technical Seminar on Industrial Water Treatments” in the city of Oviedo
A seminar with an environmental theme specially focus on industrial wastewater and its problems, with the challenges related to its management, production and safety.
In this context, Iñigo Gonzalez showed the operating parameters of the Discharge Control Area of the Water Consortium (CABB) as the managing entity of the Supply and Sanitation of a large part of Bizkaia. Subsequently, Alberto Ciriza (CABB) gave a presentation in which he presented a practical case in the treatment of the problems generated by industrial discharges of food and small businesses and the controlled integration of their wastewater in the urban sanitation system of Ondarroa. The two challenges were:
- At the industry level, resource recovery and water reuse, including energy and nutrients..
- At the WWTP level, the efficiency increase with control strategies generated by modeling the operating conditions. A new control strategy for the optimal and stable operation of the plant based on the remote control of industrial discharges and critical points of the system as decision support system (EDSS) and early warning was presented.
A brief summary of the results obtained by the LIFE VERTALIM project:
The industrial scale validation of a real-time control system that allows the optimization of organic and saline charges in an urban wastewater treatment plant, ensuring that treated effluents are properly discharged to the natural environment.
Industrial water treatments
In this Symposium, organized from META and open to all professionals, researchers and students interested in the field, the topic of Industrial Discharges and its treatment was approached under various points of view, from a sustainability perspective and seeking collaboration between Participants in the event.
- Elimination of emerging pollutants in WWTP effluents. Eduardo Gimeno. Laboratorios Tecnológicos de Levante.
- Industrial discharges in sewage treatment plants of the Bilbao-Bizkaia Water Consortium. Alberto Ciriza e Iñigo González. CABB.
- Exploring biological solutions for “complex” industrial waters. Julián Carrera. Univ. A. Barcelona.
- Anaerobic characterization and treatment of hydrothermal carbonization process waters. Mª Ángeles de la Rubia. Univ. A. Madrid.
- Arsenic stabilization in aqueous effluents through waste from the steel industry. Víctor Arniella. Univ. Oviedo.
- Directiva de Emisiones Industriales: Aplicación y ejemplos del nuevo reto en el tratamiento de efluentes en la industria.
- Industrial Emissions Directive: Application and examples of the new challenge in the treatment of effluents in the industry. Francisco Sánchez-Miel. Aqualia.
- Colloquium: The challenges of the new regulations of aqueous spills. Moderator: José Carlos Rubio. Sacyr Agua.
Moderators: Antonio Morán. (University of León) and Federico Mijangos (University of the Basque Country). Each speaker made a 30-minute presentation and subsequently opened a 20-minute debate