In order to improve fish size selectivity and minimise undesired catch levels (discards), AZTI is working on:
- Minimising the environmental impact of fishing gears.
- Improving the selection pattern of fishing gears.
- Optimising fishing activity performance.
- Maintaining fishing activity.
- Improving fishing public image.
- Searching for comprehensive solutions to fisheries problems derived from regulatory changes.
Improve the fishing gear selection pattern and optimise fishing activity performance whilst improving the public image of fishing
Public administrations, fish producers’ associations, fishermen’s associations, ship owners, etc.
- Adapting fishing activity to the current regulatory requirements.
- Reducing fishing impact, fostering its environmental sustainability.
- Improving the image of the fishing sector compared with public opinion, even enabling improvements to product marketing (new markets, better prices,etc.).
We have extensive knowledge of the Basque fisheries sector and the fishing techniques used..
- Possibility of conducting studies into all types of fishing.
- Flexible implementation period, depending on client’s requirements.
- Extensive knowledge of the Basque fisheries sector and the fishing techniques used.
- Possibility of comprehensive projects thanks to a multi-disciplinary team covering various knowledge areas (fisheries monitoring, stock management/assessment, socio-economics, fishing operational improvements, better selectivity, fishing quality, fish product processing, etc.).
- Flexibility and fast response.
- Close relationship with net manufacturers and auxiliary industry.
Proven track record
- Hook selectivity study for artisanal hake fishing with trawling nets.
- Trammel net selectivity study for artisanal fishing in the Basque Country.
- Gillnet selectivity study for artisanal fishing in the Basque Country.
- Selective device for the release of dolphins from the trawl net.
- “Single” trawl net selectivity study used by the trawler fleet in the Basque Country.