Purpose of the specific contract
The main objective of this specific contract is to ensure appropriate participation and coordination of EU scientists in Regional Fisheries Management Organisations (RFMOs), the Joint Scientific Committees (JSC) of the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership Agreements (SFPAs) and other relevant international organisations meetings and to provide the Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (DG MARE) with technical support and advice on scientific subjects related to RFMOs and SFPAs.
Scope of the study
The provision of advice, coordination and participation of scientists in international meetings shall cover the following organisations or meetings:
- International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tuna (ICCAT)
- Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organisation (NAFO)
- Commission for the Conservation of the Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT)
- Indian Ocean Tuna Commission (IOTC)
- Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC)
- Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATTC)
- Fishery Committee for the Eastern Central Atlantic (CECAF)
- South East Atlantic Fisheries Organisation (SEAFO)
- South Indian Ocean Fisheries Agreement (SIOFA)
- South Pacific RFMO (SPRFMO)
- Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR)
- North Atlantic Salmon Conservation Organization (NASCO)
- Meeting on High Seas Fisheries in the Central Arctic Ocean
- Meetings in relation to the Memorandum of Understanding for Sharks
SFPAs Joint Scientific Committees:
- Guinea Bissau
From April 2017 until April 2018.
Tasks to be performed
Scientific coordinators for each RFMO and SFPA will participate in each meeting and shall ensure the following tasks:
- Coordination with DG MARE
– Permanent coordination with DG MARE and other EU scientists designated by DG MARE to provide scientific advice.
– In support of the EU Scientific team, follow up on the outcomes of the scientific inter- sessional meetings.
– Liaison with National Institutes on data gathering and data management issues.
– Inter-sessional support to the Head of Delegation or any other Commission staff designated by him/her.
– Participation in support of the EU Delegation or as Head of the EU Delegation to the Annual Meetings of the relevant RFMOs Scientific Committees.
- Ensuring participation in RFMO’s Scientific Committees/Annual Meetings
– Participation to the Annual Meeting of RFMOs as advisor to the Head of the EU Delegation.
– Participation in support of the EU Delegation or as Head of the EU Delegation to the Annual Meetings of the relevant RFMO’s Scientific Committees, including coordination on the spot with relevant EU scientists.
- Ensuring participation in JSC-SFPA and other relevant meetings
– Participation in the SFPAs JSC ensuring that EU scientists work in a coordinated way and producing meeting report
– Occasional participation to meetings related to scientific issues of major interest in the context of EU fisheries beyond EU waters.
For more information about this project, you have to be registered. Please, log in to:
- Access to category denied!