Artificial intelligence sensors and techniques
On-line monitoring and classification enables AZTI-Tecnalia to support the food industry in guaranteeing the quality of their products.
Classification starts with real-time inspection of critical quality properties in food. Inspection is carried out through sensory techniques (non-invasive or minimally invasive techniques). Data obtained from sensors are related to objective laboratory measures (sensory, physical-chemical) through automatic learning techniques (artificial intelligence). Automatic processes are critical for objective decision-making besides increasing the speed and efficiency of the classification process.
Automatic processes are critical for objective decision-making besides increasing the speed and efficiency of the classification process.
- Primary sector (fishermen guilds, wholesalers, co-operatives, platforms).
- Food processing sectors (meat, fruit and vegetables, etc.).
Benefits for your company/product
- On-line quality detection for decision-making regarding destination of products inspected.
- Increased added-value of food through differentiation and quality criteria.
- Product handling reduction.
- Reduced production costs through automation with excellent efficiency and productivity of low quality working tasks.
- Increased process and company productivity as staff usually assigned to this task can perform other activities.
- Increased classification success with the corresponding reduction of percentages discarded by customers.
- Increased business competitiveness.
- Environmental improvement of production processes: natural resource optimisation.
- Adapting to consumption trends and requirements determined by modern distribution as well as the hotel, restaurant and catering sector through product standardisation regarding size (adapt to packaging and sale formats) and quality standards.
Increased process productivity and company competitiveness, adjusting to consumption trends and requirements determined by modern distribution as well as the hotel, restaurant and catering service sector.
Proven track record
With over 6 years of experience in the automatic product classification, at AZTI-Tecnalia:
- Are the only experts in the world to classify mackerel fish species by gender. Our system is protected by two published patents (WO2009/063101 and WO2009090279).
- We help companies develop their own on-line classification processes based on quality criteria.
- Our pilot plant is equipped with a robot line for food classification.
- We have forged alliances with automation engineering firms for drawing design, developing solutions based on computer vision and handling claws as well as for installation assembly and start-up.
- Implementation in the company in under 15 months from start of tests (depending on food type and solution).
- Technology transfer to two companies (Roboconcept and Optimar).
- Installation of two mackerel sexing lines at the Fishermen’ Guild of Hondarribia.