Expansion technologies to achieve dehydrated and crispy food
At AZTI-Tecnalia we support new product development in the food industry through new technology application such as Controlled Instantaneous Decompression (CID) and microwave technology.
When applied to a dehydration process these technologies are capable of expanding food of meat, fish and vegetable origin Innovative dehydrated products can be obtained with attractive appearance (expanded and aerated) and crispy texture which is an improvement when compared to elastic or compact textures of dehydrated products already existing on the market. Furthermore, these technologies enable expanding food without the need for frying in oil and therefore also improving their nutritional profile.hr_invisible]
These technologies enable expanding food without the need for frying in oil and therefore also improving their nutritional profile
- Primary sector (cooperatives) and food processing sector.
Benefits for your company / product
- Generation of new dehydrated products, with crispy texture and long shelf-life (over 6 months);
- Adding value to process surplus and recovery of production surplus (vegetable surplus);
- Improved rehydrating of dehydrated food;
- No retraction of dehydrated products;
- Improved sensory properties such as colour. aroma, taste and appearance of dehydrated-expanded food, when compared to traditionally dehydrated food;
- Crispy, non-compact or elastic textures;
- Improved nutritional profile of food in relation to food expanded by frying;
- Environmental production processes through oil-free resource optimisation;
- Reduced process time and costs;
- Increased business competitiveness.
- Improved image by health product association;
- Opening to new public such as children, the elderly, sports people, health food stores, etc.; and
- Opening new markets, possibility of exporting to more remote markets due to longer shelf-life of products.
These technologies expand food without the need for frying in oil and therefore improving their nutritional value.
Proven track record
With over 10 years of experience in both technologies, at AZTI we:
- Help companies develop their own products and processes
- Our pilot plant is equipped with CID equipment and a microwave.
- Maintain alliances with automation engineering firms and suppliers of goods and equipment for drawing design, solution finding and installation start-up.
- Implementation in the company within one year from start-up to testing (depending on product seasonality).
- A vegetable snack type of product created for the company Tomate Deshidratado, was awarded the “Best Snack Prize” for the “Baked Product” category in the ninth snack competition 2012.