Measures to minimise impact on resources
- Definition of adaptation criteria and contingency plans to fight against climate change.
- Monitoring and processing of physical, chemical and biological variables using own or external networks (e.g. tide gauges, remote sensing).
- Statistical analysis of time series and validation of climate, oceanographic, geomorphological and ecological models (habitat of species, communities, ecosystem).
- Future scenario simulation: regional scenarios at physical (geomorphological models) and ecological level (coupling of habitat and geomorphological models to climate change); handling of global scenarios (e.g. AOGCM models).
- Scenario simulation and guidance on climate-ocean regime shift and species migration.
- Impact and vulnerability assessment and coastal adaptation: urban environment, natural physical environment, ecosystems, species migration, habitat change, marine resources.
- Effect on goods and services provided by ecosystems and socio-economic cost effectiveness of adaptation.
- Risk mapping of impacts and vulnerability indicators.
- Climate change adaptation consultancy (land-use planning, ecosystem conservation).
- Environmental impact studies for renewables (marine energy).
- Mitigation (emission reduction) through: improved energy efficiency of the fishing fleet; salt marsh and seagrass bed restoration; use of marine renewables.
Climate change impact awareness enables potential actions to be predicted, anticipating the effects of sea level rise (flooding, etc.) in urban areas.
- Public Administrations (city councils, governments, etc.)
- Fisheries sector
- Tourist sector
- Energy sector.
- Reduce GHG emissions (mitigation) in accordance with European and international guidelines.
- Reduce energy consumption in fishing vessels.
- Minimise impact of climate change on resources, ecosystems and coastal urban areas.
- Predict potential actions, anticipating the effects of sea level rise (flooding, etc.) in urban areas.
- Spatial planning in accordance with future sea level rise, extreme wave projections, ocean warming.
- Preserve habitats of Community interest, vulnerable species and ecosystems in line with expected sea level rise, estuarine and beach morphodynamic changes, migration of species due to displacement of suitable habitat.
- Anticipate salinisation and sewerage problems in cities and coastal towns.
Over 10 years experience in climate change has enabled AZTI to become a benchmark technology centre in the field.
- Consultancy on plans to fight against climate change: implementation time, usually between 3-6 months, is defined by the customer
- Definition of climate change adaptation criteria: between 2-4 years.
- Delivery formats and means: written reports, publications, mapping (e.g. flood risks), models.
- Over 10 years experience (since 2003).
- Global climate model analysis techniques
- Species habitat models
- Multi-habitat models
- Time series analysis techniques
- Hydromorphodynamic model for estuaries
- Flooding models based on sea level rise and variability
- Remote spatial (satellite) and airborne sensors
- Geographic Information Systems
- Community and connectivity analysis techniques
- Multi-disciplinary work team: physical, chemical and biological oceanography, ecology, socio-economics, genetics, geography, geology
Proven track record
- Climate change adaptation criteria on the Basque coast due to sea level rise, extreme waves, rainfall.
- Impact of climate change on the marine ecosystem (primary production) and fish stocks in the Bay of Biscay.
- Marine and fishery primary production scenarios (FP7-MEECE).
- Marine plankton projections (FP7-EURO-BASIN).
- Flood risk assessment of the Oka River, estuaries in Bizkaia, impact on Bidasoa River (Lidar, Inunda and Vulnerhab projects).
- Study of Basque marine and coastal environment (K-egokitzen and EKLIMA21 projects).
- Ecosystem and biodiversity vulnerability assessment of European seas (FP7-DEVOTES).
- Marine spatial planning studies for European marine protected areas (FP7-MESMA).
- Primary production and environmental status trends in European seas (FP7-WISER).
- Impact of sea level rise and sea warming in seagrass beds (Zostera noltii).
- Coastal water monitoring network and environmental status trends for the Basque water quality network.
- Tide gauge and sea temperature trends through the development of an automatic on-line climate indicator updating process (DECLIM).
- Members of the MALASPINA expedition: global oceanographic circumnavigation.
- 7 doctoral theses on climate change.