New strategies for improving the suistanibility of breweries: full waste recovery for aquaculture feed.
The LIFE Environment and Resource Efficiency programme is an European Union financial instrument to support environmental and nature conservation projects and promotes sustainable development.
The aim of this project is to demonstrate the feasibility of an innovative, sustainable and integrated Valorisation Scheme to recover the brewer by-products in a representative EU producing region as case study, through their up-grading at full scale as aqua-feed ingredients.
- An increase in the Environmental Efficiency and Competitiveness of brewing sector by improving the image of environmental protection and sustainable use of resources and by minimizing costs of waste management.
- An increase in the EU aquaculture Sustainability by providing 2 sustainable raw materials from spent grain and yeast for aquaculture feed which decrease the dependence of fish meal production.
- Contribution to the Society Awareness towards the environmental protection and efficient use of the resources.
- 2 new raw materials for aqua-feed (brewers’ spent grain and yeast).
- An Exploitation plan to recycles at least 95 % of by- products in the case study region (Spain).
- Replication and Transference to 2 EU regions for recovering at least 85 % of by-products.
- Reducing 25 % of the environmental impact associated with aqua-feed production by replacing at least 15 % of the fish meal.
Project technical phases
- Setting the Stakeholder table
- Pre-industrial optimization of processes for obtaining meal & aquafeed prototypes
- Design of a Valorisation Scheme including all stages of the Value Chain and Replicable to any European Scenario
- Demonstration of the Valorisation Scheme applied to a case study
- Feasibility of the Implementation in an industrial reference scenario
- Replicability and Transferability of the Valorisation Scheme at European level
- Public Awareness and Dissemination of results
Programme: LIFE Environment and Resource Efficiency. LIFE16ENV/ES/000160
Duration: September 2017 – December 2020
Partners: AZTI (coordinator), IRTA, Riera Nadeu, LKS, The Brewers of Europe
More information: http://lifebrewery.azti.es