The best information for monitoring and controlling aquaculture infrastructures
We design, develop and apply systems and methods for monitoring and controlling (if possible in real-time) operation conditions and key parameters for environmental quality in aquaculture infrastructures.
Technological solutions include:
- Video-monitoring systems for safety and environmental purposes (different remote sensing systems with ortho-rectification and data processing).
- Met-Ocean observing systems from fixed or floating platforms (Physical and chemical parameters).
- Innovative (semi)-automated observation techniques for addressing phytoplankton dynamics (flowcam, scanning flow cytometry).
- Integrated approach with different time and scale focuses.
Environmental management solutions include:
- Organic matter. Sediments are usually used as integrator of accumulative effects.
- Dissolved oxygen, transparency, Chlorophyll, pH, nutrients, etc.
- Temperature and salinity, allowing hydrographical characterization.
- Physical variables (mainly waves and currents) affecting the behaviour of the infrastructure, the stress of individuals, the conditions of operations, etc.
- Atmospheric parameters (wind, pressure, temperature, solar radiation, etc).
- Phytoplankton concentration monitoring systems in the water column, taxonomical composition, control of species producing biotoxins.
Operational oceanography nowcasting and forecasting systems (48-96h) for getting the best information possible about sea state, hydrodynamical forcing and environmental conditions.
- Operational forecasting for waves, 3D currents, temperature and salinity.
- Plume dispersion modelling for different spills produced in aquaculture exploitation (waste, food).
- Floating particles transport forecasting (accidents, oil spills, drifting of elements, etc).
We provide the best information possible about sea state, hydrodynamical forcing and environmental conditions.
- Public administrations and official bodies (polygons management).
- Aquaculture firms(management and optimization of offshore installations)
- Operational safety and remote-control of structural integrity for open-ocean aquaculture devices
- Possible remote-detection and mitigation of interaction with other activities and predators.
- Reduction of maintenance costs and optimization of routine operations.
- Acquiring data and reference time-series for continuous improvement of engineering system and components.
- Risk management and reduction (safety, environmental impacts, accidents, toxicity)
- Assessment of key challenges for marine ecosystem health.
The monitoring systems represent a reduction of maintenance costs and optimization of routine operations.
- Cameras for offshore installations.
- Quick and easy installation.
- Real time images at (via computer or mobile phone).
Proven track record
- Design of coastal observing networks in Spain and France
- Maintenance of monitoring infrastructure for open ocean aquaculture devices.
- Operations of observing programmes
- Coastal operational modelling system implementation
- Data flow to end users through web services
- R+D European project (FP7 JERICO, INTERREG LOREA)