Methodology based on GIS to prioritise alternatives for agri-food waste reclamation in the Basque Autonomous Community.
Objectives: Life GISWASTE is a local-level demo project which can be applied to any other European region which is struggling to manage its agrifood by-products.
The aim is to develop a GIS-based methodology and IT tool which simulates the technical, economic, and environmental viability of the recovery alternatives for the agrifood by-products (chiefly vegetables, meat, and dairy products) in the Basque Autonomous Community.
The recovery alternatives which are evaluated in the Life GISWASTE project focus on two specific areas: biogas generation and animal feed production.
The aim of the project is to:
- Assist in the decision-making process for governments and businesses, lowering the risk factor when electing which recovery alternative to choose.
- Reduce environmental risks in the implementation of new infrastructures, taking environmental factors into account and not just geographical and technical factors.
- Reduce costs by way of a preliminary evaluation of the economic feasibility of the proposals; simulating and comparing other possible alternatives.
- Foster synergies between different sources of by-products in order to provide comprehensive solutions to small firms who are struggling to install individualised solutions.
- Invigorate the by-product recovery sector, fostering the generation of new economic activities in this field.
Budget: 1.419.832 € (48,77% EU funds)
Duration: 15/07/2013 – 30/06/2017
Further inormation: www.lifegiswaste.eu