Life-cycle analysis, eco-design and use of IT tools for product and process optimisation
At AZTI-Tecnalia we help companies with:
- Eco-design of new foodstuff: a product or process can be optimised via Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) throughout the entire value chain.
- Developing general IT tools for a sector or specific companies to obtain environmental indicators (carbon footprint, water footprint, etc.) which in turn facilitate cost saving initiatives and added-value proposals from the environmental and economic points of view.
- Protocol harmonisation and guide preparation to calculate and define the aforementioned indicators.
- Companies in any food sub-sector
- Food sector associations
- Public Administration
Discovering their environmental indicators enable companies to propose cost saving measures and offer added value to their activity.
Benefits for your company/product
- Obtaining environmental information aimed at cost reduction.
- Increasing the added value of their products.
- Enabling rigorous and verifiable environmental communication.
- Allowing product differentiation from competitors.
- Green marketing
Central Lechera Asturiana (CAPSA), with the support of AZTI-Tecnalia, have launched an initiative to reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated to their products through an environmental improvement and result communication system based on one of the most currently widespread indicators – the carbon footprint. Some of the achievements are:
- Reduction of 3,228 tons of CDE released into the atmosphere in 2010 thanks to the use of railway transport for goods and bio-fuel for vehicles as well as transport route optimisation.
- Reducing the release of 14,000 MT of CDE emissions into the atmosphere in 2010 through process efficiency improvement and steady implementation of alternative and cleaner energy (co-generation and tri-generation systems).
EROSKI has reduced environmental impact on packages and packaging with the aid of an IT tool (eco-environmental software) jointly developed with AZTI-Tecnalia.
- Reducing 43 ton of CDE emissions in 2010 thanks to the replacement of PE labels by new FSC paper linerless labels.
Life Cicle Analysis (LCA) and Ecodesign
ECOALIM project: work to achieve global improvement and improve full life cycle efficiency (through partial improvements at each stage of the food chain) in fillet chicken processing based on sustainability criteria. Some of the improvements achieved:
- Fodder price reduction in poultry meat of 4.5 – 5% through vegetable waste recovery to prepare animal fodder (adding tomato pulp, skin and seeds to fodder).
- Global water consumption reduction of around 10%, thanks to process water reuse (characterisation of waste water generated by different processes in the chicken processing industry allowed selection of two waste water streams which could be separated for treatment and reused within the production process).
- Creation of new packages based on biodegradable materials (development of a flexible, clear and biodegradable film made of Poly Lactic Acid (PLA)) for food product packaging as a sustainable alternative to thermoplastic materials.
- Improvement of 46% in energy efficiency through optimisation of logistics and distribution management.