Design, construction and validation of an automated rod for tuna fishing.
Objective: The generic objective of this project is to design, construct and validate the technical performance of a prototype for an automated tuna fishing rod using live bait.
The replacement of current rods for automated ones that facilitate the fisherman’s work and ensure a high level of safety in fishing is the basis of this project which generally aims to automate the rod traditionally used for blue-fin fishing, maintaining the motor/pulley/halyard system or considering other alternatives for catching and hauling fish on board.
Thespecific objectives of this project are:
- Technically characterise the traditional tuna fishing systems used by the live bait fleet.
- Establish the user requirements and technical specifications for the conceptual design of the prototypes.
- Construct, install and validate the constructed prototype based on the technical specifications, using workshop and sea tests.
- Estimate the technical performance of the automated fishing rod compared with the traditional rod used in commercial fishing.
- Evaluate the implications in terms of occupational safety and comfort of the use of the new design.