Improved food quality and safety while reducing costs and improving competitiveness
Quality management systems enable generating a control and record system covering the entire product chain – from origin to target destination – working as an effective control of food authentication and traceability.
DNA technology offers the possibility of identifying the species and/or origin of ingredients used in product preparation, even for highly processed products.
At AZTI we are experts in:
- Species Identification:
- Fish species identification through genetic PCR-sequencing identification enabling unequivocal species identification on fresh, frozen and even processed products (cans/preserves, surimi, etc.).
- Detecting the presence of mandarin in fruit juice with a detection limit of 2% mandarin in orange.
- Detecting mixtures of meat, beef, pork, poultry, milk, etc.
- Authentication of Arabica coffee variety: presence detection of up to 2% of Robusta coffee variety in Arabica both in green and roasted coffee.
- Geographic origin identification: anchovies from the Bay of Biscay/Atlantic and albacore, Idiazabal cheese identification (Protected Designation of Origin).
- Transfer of these genetic methods
- Development of tailor-made identification methods
Benefits for your company / Product
- Food traceability and authentication control
- Obtaining quality standards demanded by consumers
- Product differentiation
- Better positioning on more demanding markets
- Improved relationship with the administration
- Supplier control
- Production process control.
- Large food distribution companies
- Canning industry
- Quality brands
- Organisations working to maintain ocean sustainability
- From 24 hours to 5 working days.
Pioneers in providing solutions for customers through DNA analysis
- We develop customised methodologies
- We are pioneers in mandarin detection in orange and Robusta coffee variety in Arabica
- We are pioneers in species identification in tuna preserves In some cases we can even detect a mix of species
- We are pioneers in authentication methods of surimi derivatives
- We are pioneers in geographic identification of tuna and anchovy species
GENETIC COFFEE TEST
The detection method based on molecular biology techniques developed by the expert food research technology centre AZTI in cooperation with Café Fortaleza, can detect presence of up to 2% of Robusta coffee in Arabica, in both green and roasted coffee.
Quality as a way of gaining new customers
While the rest of the world consumes around 75% Arabica and 25% Robusta coffee varieties, in Spain consumption is reversed: 36% Arabica and 64% Robusta varieties are consumed. This reduction in Arabica import is due to market pressure damaging the quality of coffee consumed. However, this data of high consumption of the cheapest variety (Robusta) is in direct contrast to the fact that the number of coffees advertised as Pure Arabica is very high. For this reason, Café Fortaleza, specialised in Arabica variety, has promoted this scientific research to check, verify and certify this claim. In particular now, that the price of Arabica is over two and a half times higher than Robusta and that quality is the only way to win customers.
As high-quality pure Arabica coffee adulteration with other lower quality varieties (Robusta) or other substitutes such as chicory or roasted malt, even in very small quantities, it is highly important for the sector as well as the end consumer and its detection attracts great interest.
Genetic Coffee Test is the first method developed in Spain to guarantee the purity of Arabica coffee in any type of coffee: a pioneering initiative on the market. At AZTI we are working on the possible creation of an accreditation seal to be displayed on coffee packages to ensure contents are exactly as stated on the label.