We strive to attain sustainable fishing activities carried out by an economically-competitive fleet with responsible fishing practices. The research effort is performed jointly with the fisheries sector of the Basque Country and the main European research centres, within the framework of international organisations, such as ICCAT, IOTC, ICES/CIEM, NAFO, STEFC, etc. We collaborate in the preparation of the scientific advice related to the different levels of exploitation of the fishing resources so that the respective authorities set out the corresponding management measures to guarantee a sustainable activity.
- Evaluation of fisheries and seafood resources: We develop models for the simulation of different management and catch scenarios, using space-time multi-species and fleet evaluation tools.
- New stock evaluation methods through direct campaigns (ictioplancton-based, acoustic, optical and CUFES-based methods)
- Fisheries Biology: Study of the biological (genetics, growth, reproduction, diseases and parasitism) and behavioural (distribution and migration) parameters of the different commercial species.
- Marine ecosystems: Research into the effects of natural variability and climate change in the marine ecosystem and fisheries concerning such matters as biological productivity, plankton dynamics, resource recruitment processes, physical and biological model coupling, etc.
- Fishing socio-economics and socio-economic surveys: Research and innovation in new fisheries management models, including socio-economic variables. Sectoral statistics and monitoring of economic variables. Fleet dynamics and profitability analysis. Studies on the socio-economic dependence of fishing in different fields. Analysis of the impact of the EU fisheries policy.
- Governance: Understood as the democratic, participative involvement in fisheries management, in the sense that every stakeholder and user affected by the said management is integrated and can take part in it. That is, within the fisheries management are included the managers, social stakeholders and society in general.
- Analysis of risks in relation to fisheries management
- Fisheries monitoring, stock assessment and fisheries management: Monitoring of the structure and activity of the fishing fleets and commercial catches in the Basque Country, by means of the fish sampling and information network: landings, discards and biological characteristics of the catches. For the Basque public administration: research cruises for direct evaluation of stock biomass by methods (ictioplancton-based, acoustic, optical, etc.). For the fishing sector, experimental fisheries research cruises.
- Integrated Scientific Council for the management of stocks of commercial species and the fleets exploiting them, relevant at European and international level: development of models for the assessment of different biology-based (state of stocks) and financial (profitability and social indicators) management strategies.